Sunday, May 18, 2008

The World of Blog

To be honest with you, this is my first blog. Not just the first blog I have created but the very first blogging I've ever done. To blog is a radical notion for me. It's one of those social networking things that I have been so reluctant to try. I have a mySpace page, but I haven't done much of anything with it. Actually, I set it up to see what students were saying about me once I discovered there were such activities going on. I just received a new iTouch as a gift from my husband. I wasn't looking to upgrade my iPod but well, I've been upgraded. The most important feature in a phone is that it makes and receives calls (don't text me because I can't really do that either). You would think I'm technologically challenged but the reality is, I think, I just reject the newer technologies because they counter my natural tendency to isolate myself. By day I work for a large technology company as an infrastructure analyst (a tech engineer). Before that, I supported servers for this large company. Friends and family are always astonished and bewildered at my detachment from such technological wonders as texting but here I am.

I set up this blog to save my creative ventures in an electronic portfolio. For some weird reason I don't sleep like a normal person and in the eery hours of the morning I'm often sewing. So, I have turned my nocturnal activities into an electronic trade, of sorts. I just started selling on ETSY - you know, the handmade crafters website. You can see my stuff here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5633696

I love the handmade revolution we're seeing. In an age when we need more and more consumer protection from the things we didn't know could harm us 30 years ago (honestly, did any of us ride in a car seat past the age of 2?? The kids from my generation that were in a booster seats when they were 3 were always the ones we suspected would turn out to be paste eaters but now kids are in booster seats until they're 4'9"). Anyway, in the era of consumer protection from things made with toxic chemicals, I have come to love the handmade revolution and have even signed the handmade pledge, which just says we will try to buy handmade gifts etc.

If you haven't been out to ETSY and haven't the foggiest idea what I'm talking about, I urge you to go. I spend a lot of time with the Pounce feature just looking at what people are making out there. There are so many amazing artists selling their creations on ETSY that you will never run out of options. I wander around and window shop but I think my favorite artists are those working with glass. There is so much talent out there! Before you buy another gift card go out and spend some time with the indy crafters!

No comments: