Tuesday, May 20, 2008

ECO-friendly Stuff


I have shopping bag totes to bring to the store with me so that I don't waste plastic bags. After a few weeks of using these, I started to wonder what kind of alternatives I had for those ridiculous produce bags I will never use again.

My friends pointed out that I can take the plastic bags back to the store and recycle them, but I'm just too dense to do it and the produce bags, sadly, don't hold up very well.

So, I went in search of a good, re-usable fabric that would be as lightweight as the plastic bags. Guess what you can do with that crappy tulle fabric they put in wedding dresses and fluffy flower girl outfits? It's perfect as a replacement produce bag.

These are very easy to make. Cut a 14" x10" rectangle on the fold so that ifyou unfold it, you have a piece that is 28" x 10". Right sides together (I don't think there are right sides to most tulle but depending on whether or not you get the kind with sparkles and sunshine, this could make a difference) Sew up the long 14" side and then down the other 14" side to make a bag. Then re-sew what you just sewed for strength. Hem the top and if you want, leave enough of an opening to put ribbon through so that you can make a drawstring.

These are really easy to make. If you don't have a sewing machine, I can make them for you fairly cheap. See my Etsy site. (Now, isn't it convenient that I plugged my Etsy site here?)

No comments: