Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Office Store Purchase with a lot of Uses






You know those magnets that sometimes come on the front of phone books or that they give you at your vet's office and you cherish it because you can never remember your vet's phone number when Fluffy swallows the cat?

I was browsing in an office store once and found that you can buy business card magnets (pack of 50 for $11.99: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/613661/Magiccard-Magnetic-Business-Cards-x-3/) They are 2"x3" and one side is magnetic and another side is a peel and stick adhesive. So, all you have to do is peel the paper, stick something on there and throw it on your fridge. They come in other shapes too.

I was so stymied by these little gems I became giddy. These solved my major dilemma of never having enough magnets on the fridge (my children find it unacceptable to give up their Leap Frog Fridge magnet letters for my shopping list or even their artwork).

Here's another hint, did you know your exterior doors have metal in between them to keep robbers from throwing their shoulder through your door? I use the magnets for notes to myself as I walk out the door etc. This solved my major dilemma of not having enough stick-able space after I discovered the magnets and pasted them all over the fridge.

For anybody out there that has been living under a rock, like I have, you can find these at your office store and here are just some of the things I have done with them:

1. Bought a super inexpensive coffee table book at a bookstore and cut pictures down to size. I have a whole Monet magnet thing going on now.

2. Then, I decided to start cutting Martha Stewart magazines apart and making those into magnets.

3. I then discovered my heavy duty scissors will cut the magnet to any size I want; hence there are round magnets, heart magnets, shrimp gumbo, shrimp scampi.....

4. Of course, I also stuck every business card I thought I would ever need again on a magnet.

5. What to do with those wallet sized portraits left over from every school picture day and the incessant JC Penney photo studio trip "because I have a coupon"? Slap those on a magnet, grandparents freak out and go nuts over these.

6. Got some awesome scrapbook paper or fabric scraps that you can't bear to part with but honestly, they REALLY are too small to make into a bookmark or card? Yep, slap those on there too. My picture collection below will demonstrate that little project.

7. Know many people who have gotten married or had a baby in the last few years and you can never remember the anniversary or birthday? Collect the wedding invitations, birth announcements etc. and post them on your fridge.

8. Do you have friends on the wagon (or should be)? A good alternative to a bottle of wine you might take to dinner would be a collection of your favorite photos from a book or you can even throw wine labels on there.

9. Make your own save the date magnet cards (why pay somebody else to do it?)

10. For your kids' birthday parties, have the little guests draw a picture on a sheet of paper that is 6" x 9". Lay the magnets adhesive side down on the back side of the picture and then cut it out. Kids will be amazed at the puzzle they just made for their fridge and parents will thank you for not sending their kids home with yet another choking hazard (refer back to Fluffy if you no longer have kids that stick stuff in their mouth or up their nose).

The Queen Elizabeth II magnets are available to buy from my Etsy shop.  100% of sale will go to the Idaho Food Bank.


No comments: