Monday, May 19, 2008

Bags, Bags and bags

Well look at that. Posting a picture inside a blog isn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. You just have to use the little icons on the little bar.

Since this blog is all about my creative outlet and the things I'm selling on ETSY, I thought I would post pictures and links to ETSY where you can buy the purse as well as a little bit about the bag. Most of the things I write about the creation of the bag won't be interesting to anybody but me but it's worth noting that I don't have anybody standing over my should telling me what is an isn't interesting.

This bag is one of my favorites. I took a purse pattern that I liked and figured out ways I could like it more. First, I changed the handles (and now the handles don't define the style, it's the shape of the bag that does....I use a lot of different handles for this bag.) The next thing I did to the pattern was to enlarge it. That became the small bag. Then I took the small bag pattern I had made and then re-tooled it to be larger but at the same time, also retain some symmetry. This sounds odd, but even in an asymmetrical design, you still have to have some symmetry or else it just won't look right. For example, if you install tile in your kitchen, tile on your countertops need to be small than the floor tile or else the room looks top heavy and weird. If you use tile on the wall, counter and floor, you should think about the math or else the room will again not quite look right. For example, if you use 12 inch tiles on the floor, you should make the tiles on the countertop a divisor of 12. So, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 inch tiles would be used. If you use 5 inch tiles then something won't look quite right. Wow, that was more time spent on symmetry than I planned. Oh well, it's my blog. If you're still with me, good for you.

So, where was I? Oh yeah, for the medium sized bag I used good old math and a ruler and made it bigger. This medium sized tote is probably as large as I would ever make a bag for myself. Although, I know lots of people who like even larger bags so I'll probably be breaking out the ruler and math again.

The fabric on this bag is Amy Butler. I was completely blow away when I first saw Amy Butler fabric. My concept of fabrics, particularly those from quilting stores, had always been of soft little florals that suggest a great feminine quality than I'm willing to embrace. Don't get me wrong, I love being a girl, but some of those 1970's and 80's calicos scream 19th century, barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen woman and less the I really hate to cook, 21st century socks on in the kitchen girl that I am. Who are all of the people who are screaming hot during pregnancy, oh I was hot, just not temperature wise. My extremities were like icicles when I was pregnant with both kids born in opposite seasons. I had one hot flash with the youngest. Anyway, the fabric in quilt shops quite frankly scared me. The new fabric designers are such a breath of fresh air. They took a much loved concept, the florals, and paired it with geometry that gives it such a modern flair.

And then there are the Michael Miller scenes that I love so much; but that's another entry.

If you would like to buy a Jane in medium size purse, you can visit me at ETSY or even request something custom. Find a fabric you like and let me know where you found it. Peruse the fabric shops at ETSY. I buy A LOT of stuff from ETSY sellers. One of my favorites is Fabric Supplies by Charlie (see the link at the bottom of the page). He has a great selection and pairs the fabrics so that even the most challenged fabric pairer can't go wrong. I even bought the fabric for this bag from Fabric Supplies. The price was fantastic, selection great and shipping phenomenal.

No comments: